Default logs?

Discuss Geocaching and related topics here.

Default logs?

Postby geodanimal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am

Seems like I've seen a lot of geocache logs lately (in the last 6 months or so) that use exactly the same wording, "That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache." Seems like I've seen this with at least 6 or 7 different users, and it seems like they're all relative newbies. It's not just a simple TFTC -- the wording is so distinct, it always surprises me a little bit to see it again. So what's the deal? Is there some geocaching phone app that automatically supplies that phrase as a default log, or something?
geodanimal

Geocaching.com User Name: geodanimal

Re: Default logs?

Postby not2b » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:20 pm

That is the default message from the Groundspeak Intro app. It's annoying, but at least it's politer than the "TFTC" log so many folks type in on their own.
not2b

Geocaching.com User Name: not2b

Postby dprovan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 pm

not2b wrote:That is the default message from the Groundspeak Intro app. It's annoying, but at least it's politer than the "TFTC" log so many folks type in on their own.

Well, I contest that it's politer, since at least as mindless and vacuous as "TFTC". But since I don't think "TFTC" is rude to begin with, I suppose I'm not one to judge.

Anyway, not2b gave the answer: it's newbies using the intro app that don't know what they're doing. So don't take it personally, just enjoy the fact that they're having fun finding caches and don't worry about how they log them.
dprovan

Geocaching.com User Name: dprovan

Postby geodanimal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:31 pm

I see, thanks. I don't take it personally, but it made me curious. And yes, I think if there's going to be some default message automatically supplied for newbies, I wish it was something as simple and innocuous as TFTC, or perhaps "This is a default "Found It" message supplied by the Groundspeak Intro App."

But better yet, how about just not supplying any default at all? Teach people right off the bat to compose something in their own words. Why make your Intro app teach newbies that they can just leave the same lame little self-congratulatory log on every single cache? I guess if there's something I take personally about this, it's just that it bothers me when I see Groundspeak doing things that are obviously dumb and counterproductive.

I still think there would be no downside to implementing a "Like" button (or something comparable) for cache logs. People who write truly worthy and creative logs would get a nice little pat on the back, and it would encourage others to post something more meaningful than TFTC, etc. It wouldn't eliminate lame logs, of course, but it would provide some additional incentive for good ones.
geodanimal

Geocaching.com User Name: geodanimal

Postby dprovan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:55 am

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply you would actually take it personally, I was just emphasizing that there's literally nothing personal about it.

The suggestions you've made were made in the GC.com forums. I think someone said the default was changed soon after. I don't remember what to, but as I recall, I thought it was reasonable.

I like to keep in mind that this default message was actually written by the developer, and it makes an odd sort of sense if you read it that way: the finder of the cache isn't really involved in posting this message, so it should be read as the app developer crowing about this being one more find made possible by his app.
dprovan

Geocaching.com User Name: dprovan

Return to General Geocaching